Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India police investigate AirAsia boss Tony Fernandes

India's federal police on Tuesday (29) raided the local offices of budget carrier AirAsia as investigators accused the airline's boss Tony Fernandes of illegally obtaining licences.

The Central Bureau of Investigation said it was probing allegations that Fernandes lobbied Indian officials for favourable treatment regarding licences for his low-cost carrier.


"We have filed a case against Air Asia chief Tony Fernandes, his colleagues and government officers over procuring licences illegally," CBI official R.K. Gaur told AFP.

Officers had raided AirAsia offices in major Indian cities as part of its investigation, he added.

Fernandes was accused by investigators of campaigning to have aviation regulations relaxed in his favour, the Press Trust of India (PTI) reported.

One of these was the so-called 5/20 rule stipulating that companies must have five years of domestic experience and a fleet of 20 aircraft before being eligible to operate abroad.

Besides Fernandes, investigators also named an AirAsia director, an aviation consultant and unidentified Indian government officials in its preliminary case, PTI reported.

AirAsia and its local joint venture partner Tata Sons launched domestic flight operations in India in 2014 by offering eye-catching promotional fares to lure budget travellers.

Fernandes, a millionaire ex-music executive, has styled himself as Asia's answer to British tycoon Richard Branson.

The company ran into trouble this month when Air Asia India's CEO Amar Abrol stepped down, citing personal reasons.

The no-frills airline currently operates flights from its bases in Bengaluru and Delhi to several cities including Goa, Jaipur and Kochi.

A spokeswoman for AirAsia did not immediately comment on the case when contacted.

More For You

Netflix buyback

The company ended Q1 with $12.3 billion in cash, partly because buybacks were paused during the Warner Bros process

Getty Images

Netflix approves $25 billion buyback after scrapping Warner Bros bid

Highlights

  • Netflix board approved a $25bn share repurchase on 22 April, with no expiry date.
  • The move follows Netflix abandoning its $83bn bid for Warner Bros' streaming and studio assets.
  • Netflix stock has fallen more than 10 per cent since weak Q2 guidance, closing at $93.24 on 22 April.
Netflix has approved a $25 billion share buyback programme, using capital it had kept aside for its failed bid to buy Warner Bros.
The board gave the green light on 22 April, with the decision disclosed in an SEC filing the next day.
There is no expiry date on the programme. It comes on top of an existing December 2024 buyback that still had $6.8 billion left as of 31 March.

Earlier this year, Netflix pulled out of an $83 billion deal to acquire Warner Bros' streaming and studio assets after Paramount Skydance made a rival bid for Warner Bros. Discovery. Paramount then paid Netflix a $2.8 billion exit fee.

Co-CEOs Ted Sarandos and Greg Peters had already said the company would restart share buybacks once the deal was off.

Netflix shares have had a rough ride. They hit an all-time high of $134.12 in June 2025, then fell more than 40 per cent when the Warner Bros deal was announced.

Keep ReadingShow less