Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

I am naturally disappointed, says Vijay Mallya on India's Supreme Court verdict

The 66-year-old UK-based businessman did not comment further on the verdict.

I am naturally disappointed, says Vijay Mallya on India's Supreme Court verdict

Former Kingfisher Airlines boss Vijay Mallya, who is based in Britain for over five years, Monday, expressed his disappointment at the Supreme Court verdict sentencing him to four months in a contempt case.

The 66-year-old UK-based businessman did not comment further on the verdict handed down by a top court bench headed by Justice U.U. Lalit earlier on Monday. "I have no comment on the Indian Supreme Court verdict except to say that I am naturally disappointed," Mallya told PTI.


The UB Group chair is accused in a bank loan default case estimated at over ₹9,000 crore (1.3 billion USD) involving his now-defunct Kingfisher Airlines. The Supreme Court had on March 10 reserved its order in the matter, observing that proceedings against Mallya have hit a "dead wall".

Back in 2020, the apex court had dismissed Mallya's plea seeking a review of a 2017 verdict which held him guilty of contempt for transferring USD 40 million to his children in violation of court orders.

Mallya has been living in the United Kingdom since March 2016. He was arrested on an extradition warrant executed by the Scotland Yard on April 18, 2017. He remains on bail in the UK while a “confidential" legal matter, believed to be related to an asylum application, is resolved in connection with the extradition proceedings.

Last month, in unrelated proceedings, his lawyers argued in the UK High Court that the Indian banks, led by the State Bank of India (SBI), have been pursuing the same debt against him both in India and the UK as he pursues appeals in an attempt to overturn a bankruptcy order.

A bench headed by Justice U U Lalit also imposed a fine of ₹2,000 ($ 25 USD) on Mallya, who was held guilty of committing contempt of court by the top court on May 9, 2017, for transferring USD 40 million to his children in violation of court orders. As per the Contempt of Courts Act, 1971, contempt of court may be punished with simple imprisonment of up to six months, or with a fine up to ₹2,000, or both.

The bench, also comprising Justices S R Bhat and P S Narasimha, directed that Mallya and the beneficiaries under the said transactions relating to USD 40 million shall be bound to deposit the amount received along with interest at the rate of eight per cent per annum with the concerned recovery officer within four weeks.

(PTI)

More For You

 ISKCON's UK birthplace

The building holds deep spiritual importance as ISKCON's UK birthplace

iskconnews

ISKCON reclaims historic London birthplace for £1.6 million after 56 years

Highlights

  • ISKCON London acquires 7 Bury Place, its first UK temple site opened in 1969, for £1.6 million at auction.
  • Five-storey building near British Museum co-signed by Beatle George Harrison who helped fund original lease.
  • Site to be transformed into pilgrimage centre commemorating ISKCON's pioneering work in the UK.
ISKCON London has successfully reacquired 7 Bury Place, the original site of its first UK temple, at auction for £1.6 m marking what leaders call a "full-circle moment" for the Krishna consciousness movement in Britain.

The 221 square metre freehold five-storey building near the British Museum, currently let to a dental practice, offices and a therapist, was purchased using ISKCON funds and supporter donations. The organisation had been searching for properties during its expansion when the historically significant site became available.

The building holds deep spiritual importance as ISKCON's UK birthplace. In 1968, founder A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada sent three American couples to establish a base in England. The six devotees initially struggled in London's cold, using a Covent Garden warehouse as a temporary temple.

Keep ReadingShow less