Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Fresh deadly clashes break out in northeast India

Manipur chief minister N Biren Singh told media that 40 suspected militants died along with two police in the past two days

Fresh deadly clashes break out in northeast India

Fresh deadly clashes were reported on Sunday (28) in the remote northeastern Indian state of Manipur although the exact number of fatalities was not immediately clear.

Manipur has been on edge after an explosion of inter-ethnic violence this month killed at least 70 people and left tens of thousands displaced.

The state's chief minister N Biren Singh told local media, in comments confirmed by a government official that 40 suspected militants had died along with two police in the past two days.

"The terrorists have been using M-16 and AK-47 assault rifles and sniper guns against civilians. They came to many villages to burn down homes," local media quoted Singh as saying.

"We have started taking very strong action against them with the help of the army and other security forces. We have got reports some 40 terrorists have been shot dead," Singh was quoted as saying.

However, while a military source confirmed an uptick of unrest, he said four people had been killed in the past 24 hours.

"At least three armed miscreants - who were trying to set fire to empty houses, and fired at the security forces when they tried to stop them - died in retaliatory firing," the source said, declining to be named.

"One more armed miscreant was killed in Moreh and three others, including two security personnel, were injured," the source said.

The far-flung states of northeast India - sandwiched between Bangladesh, China and Myanmar - have long been a tinderbox of tensions between different ethnic groups.

The violence in Manipur earlier in May was between the majority Meitei, who are mostly Hindus and live in and around the state capital Imphal, and the mainly Christian Kuki tribe in the surrounding hills.

Most victims are believed to be from the Kuki community, with some of their villages and churches destroyed by Meitei mobs. But the Meitei were also targeted by the Kukis in some places.

The initial spark was Kuki anger at the prospect of the Meitei being given guaranteed quotas of government jobs and other perks in a form of affirmative action.

This also stoked long-held fears among the Kuki that the Meitei might also be allowed to acquire land in areas currently reserved for them and other tribal groups.

Thousands of troops were deployed to restore order, while around 30,000 people fled their homes for the safety of ad-hoc army-run camps for the displaced. Mobile internet has been cut for weeks.

(AFP)

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

British Indian church leader caught in India’s anti-conversion law that wasn’t yet law

The 50-year-old, who leads a Christian community in Manchester and is associated with the Anglican Episcopal Church International, was attending a 10-day celebration featuring sermons, prayer and religious music when a group of Hindu men entered the premises on 7 August.

British Indian church leader caught in India’s anti-conversion law that wasn’t yet law

Highlights:
  • British church leader Pankaj Devnoor faces allegations over a Christian gathering in Pune.
  • His family says the allegations are “baseless”.
  • Police initially cited Maharashtra’s new anti-conversion law.
  • The law does not come into force until 28 August.
  • Devnoor remains in India under strict bail conditions.

Pankaj Devnoor travelled from Manchester to Pune expecting to attend a church anniversary celebration. Instead, the British church leader found himself at the centre of an extraordinary legal dispute over religious conversion in India, as mentioned by The Indpendent.

The 50-year-old, who leads a Christian community in Manchester and is associated with the Anglican Episcopal Church International, was attending a 10-day celebration featuring sermons, prayer and religious music when a group of Hindu men entered the premises on 7 August.

Keep ReadingShow less