Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Asian dentist sues health secretary over his father's death

AN NHS dentist has initiated legal action against Health Secretary Matt Hancock and Public Health England over his father’s death due to Covid-19.

Dr Minesh Talati’s father Navin Talati, 80, had died on April 18 at the Royal London Hospital after a 28-day battle for life.


The implant surgeon claimed he unwittingly infected his parents and pregnant wife, Joanne, as he went by “erroneous” PHE advice.

Dr Talati, who had contracted the virus in late February, visited his parents staying in Goodmayes, Essex, in the first week of March as he was unaware that he had Covid-19.

He started showing symptoms only after two days, and tests later confirmed the infection.

At that time, PHE advice had played down warnings of community transmission, alleged Dr Talati.

According to him, the PHE website failed to raise caution even as government’s scientific advisers were aware of coronavirus transmission happening in the country.

Had there been sound warning on transmission, he would not have visited his parents, said Dr Talati.

The basis for his legal action — over death of a loved one due to Covid-19 — was reportedly the first of its kind in the UK.

Dr Talati, who was a Tory candidate from Barking in the 2017 Election, said he was not suing the authorities with any financial motives.

“I want justice,” he said. “Someone has to take responsibility for ignoring the signs.”

Dr Talati said his father’s death had left him shattered.

“He was not just my father, I’ve lost my best friend, I’ve lost my work colleague,” he said. “The person I went out for a drink with was my father.”

Navin Talati had migrated from India in 1969 and worked as an NHS pharmacist for 45 years. He is said to have helped Dr Talati set up a dental practice in 2009.

Dr Talati added that timely government action could have prevented many deaths.

“Coronavirus is a disaster that we should have been prepared for,” he wrote on the CrowdJustice website. “If the government had acted earlier in their response to Covid-19, thousands of lives would have been saved.”

He accused the the government of "misleading the nation", and failing ensure that "citizens had been informed of the true extent of this outbreak".

He pinned the blame on Hancock for allegedly not doing what “could be reasonably expected of him to avoid a real and immediate risk to life from Covid-19”.

“I am intending to hold the secretary of state for health and social care to account in the courts and take legal action,” he said.

“This is on the basis that the secretary of state and the executive agency PHE has failed to comply with their duties under article 2 of the Human Rights Act.”

Dr Talati also alleged that the “continued use of airports and the suspension of mass testing in early March” had contributed to the rampant spread of the virus.

He said the legal action was being launched “on behalf of all those who have suffered and lost loved ones” due to the “failures of the government to restrict the spread of coronavirus”.

“I believe that together we can hold the government to account,” said Dr Talati.

Social commentators noted that this suit could spark off a trend of similar legal action against the government.

The Department of Health said: “We cannot comment on ongoing or potential action against the department.”

More For You

London temple project for Shree Banke Bihari launched

London temple project for Shree Banke Bihari launched

Mahesh Liloriya

The Shree Kunj Bihari Vrindavan (UK) Temple has officially launched its project to establish a grand home for Shree Banke Bihari in London.

The inaugural event, held in Harrow from 4 pm, featured devotional chants, the Deep Pragtya ceremony, and a presentation outlining the temple’s vision. Speaking at the gathering, Shalini Bhargava described the planned temple as “a spiritual home promoting bhakti, unity and seva for generations to come.”

Keep ReadingShow less
Serena Williams

Williams explained that her weight challenges began after the birth of her first daughter

Getty Images

Serena Williams says GLP-1 made her feel light physically and mentally after 31lb loss

Highlights:

  • Serena Williams reveals she has lost more than 31lbs using a GLP-1 medication
  • The tennis legend says the treatment enhanced her existing healthy lifestyle
  • She stresses that weight loss should not change self-image or self-confidence

Serena Williams has revealed she has lost more than 31lbs after turning to a weight-loss medication, saying the treatment has transformed both her body and her mindset.

The 23-time Grand Slam champion, 43, told PEOPLE that using a GLP-1 medication — a type of injection that works by regulating appetite — has helped enhance the healthy lifestyle she already maintained through diet and exercise.

Keep ReadingShow less
Olivia Dunne

The 2025 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit cover model

Getty Images

Olivia Dunne shares behind-the-scenes reality of viral bathtub shoot

Highlights:

  • Olivia Dunne starred in a viral bubble bath shoot for a new Fanatics series.
  • The 2025 Sports Illustrated Swimsuit cover model revealed the not-so-glamorous side of filming.
  • Her TikTok showing behind-the-scenes chaos has gained over 700,000 views.
  • Fans and family flooded the comments with jokes and questions.

Fanatics partnership and viral moment

Retired gymnast and 2025 SI Swimsuit cover star Olivia Dunne has gone viral again, this time thanks to an unusual shoot for Fanatics.

The brand announced its new digital series, Explained by Livvy Dunne, where the influencer takes on complex topics in a playful style. The launch video showed Dunne in a bubble bath—similar in style to Margot Robbie’s cameo in The Big Short—but with a twist: the tub was set up in the middle of a football field.

Keep ReadingShow less
Bhaktivedanta Manor

Bhaktivedanta Manor hosts grand Janmashtami festival amid record crowds

Bhaktivedanta Manor hosts grand Janmashtami festival amid record crowds

Tens of thousands of devotees gathered at Bhaktivedanta Manor, Watford over the weekend for the annual Sri Krishna Janmashtami festival, one of the most important dates in the Hindu calendar.

The celebrations began on Saturday (16) and continued throughout Sunday (17) , with organisers estimating that more than 50,000 visitors attended across the two days. The programme included darshan of Sri Sri Radha-Gokulananda, devotional singing, thought-provoking dramas, dance performances, exhibitions, and talks. Visitors also enjoyed a vibrant festival bazaar, a food court offering Indian delicacies, children’s activities, and free vegetarian meals (prasadam) served throughout the day.

Keep ReadingShow less
Dakota Johnson in a striking silver Gucci gown

She arrived in a striking silver Gucci gown

Getty Images

Dakota Johnson shines in metallic Gucci gown at 'Splitsville' premiere

Highlights:

  • Dakota Johnson wore two Gucci looks at the Los Angeles premiere of Splitsville.
  • Her silver corset gown highlighted this year’s metallic fashion trend.
  • She later changed into an emerald Gucci minidress for the after-party.
  • Johnson described the film as a “soulful, unique comedy” exploring love and relationships.

Red carpet look

Dakota Johnson turned heads at the Los Angeles premiere of Splitsville, arriving in a striking silver Gucci gown with a leather finish and a draped corset that cinched at the waist. The outfit echoed the metallic trend that has dominated fashion this year.

The actress later switched outfits for the after-party, opting for a long-sleeved emerald Gucci minidress.

Keep ReadingShow less