Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Asifa rape: Indian-American girl sends message to Modi saying she'll never visit India again

An Indian-American girl has sent a video message to prime minister Narendra Modi expressing her disgust at the rape and murder of eight-year-old Asifa.

In the video uploaded on Twitter, the girl who describes herself as a "Tamil Indian by heart" says she does not want to visit India ever again due to the increase in atrocities committed against children and women.


The girl starts the video saying she has visited India as a baby and despite the heavy traffic she loved the people and food. “Now, I’m hearing news and reading through Facebook that woman and children in India are raped and murdered every other day,” she said and gives the example of the brutal rape and murder of Asifa in the Indian state of Jammu and Kashmir.

The girl then proceeded to urge the Prime Minister Modi to take strong action against people who commit such violence. “Prime Minister we have to make sure that this stuff stops and India is now safe for woman and children,” said the girl identified as Ms. V. She added that she does not want to visit India ever again as she is worried for her safety.

The recent rape and murder of Asifa has stirred wide-spread protest across India, with several groups urging the BJP-led government to enforce strict measures to protect women and children.

Asifa was brutally gang raped by eight men in a temple in Kathua. They held her captive for about four days and raped her repeatedly. She was strangulated and her head was hit twice with a stone to ensure she was dead.

The seven men and a minor accused of involvement in the gang rape and murder of Asifa on Monday appeared in a local court where they denied any wrongdoing.

The main accused, Sanji Ram, who was the custodian of the Hindu temple where Asifa was held captive, said the charges were a conspiracy against him. Pleading not guilty, the men has asked for a Narcoanalysis test, wherein the suspect is injected with sodium pentothal in an attempt to elicit a confession.

More For You

 ISKCON's UK birthplace

The building holds deep spiritual importance as ISKCON's UK birthplace

iskconnews

ISKCON reclaims historic London birthplace for £1.6 million after 56 years

Highlights

  • ISKCON London acquires 7 Bury Place, its first UK temple site opened in 1969, for £1.6 million at auction.
  • Five-storey building near British Museum co-signed by Beatle George Harrison who helped fund original lease.
  • Site to be transformed into pilgrimage centre commemorating ISKCON's pioneering work in the UK.
ISKCON London has successfully reacquired 7 Bury Place, the original site of its first UK temple, at auction for £1.6 m marking what leaders call a "full-circle moment" for the Krishna consciousness movement in Britain.

The 221 square metre freehold five-storey building near the British Museum, currently let to a dental practice, offices and a therapist, was purchased using ISKCON funds and supporter donations. The organisation had been searching for properties during its expansion when the historically significant site became available.

The building holds deep spiritual importance as ISKCON's UK birthplace. In 1968, founder A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada sent three American couples to establish a base in England. The six devotees initially struggled in London's cold, using a Covent Garden warehouse as a temporary temple.

Keep ReadingShow less