Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Vodafone denies reports of exiting India

VODAFONE Group has rejected reports that it is winding up its India operations amid mounting losses.

The British telecom giant clarified that it was supportive of its management in the Asian country.


The telecom firm on Thursday (1) said it was also actively engaging with the Indian government.

The Berkshire head-quartered business said in a statement: “Vodafone is aware of the unfounded and baseless rumours circulating in some of the Indian media that we have decided to exit the market. We would like to categorically state that this is not true and is malicious.”

“Vodafone is actively engaging with the government, and we are fully supportive of our local management as they continue to manage our joint venture in these challenging times”.

The clarification comes 24 hours after a few local media reports stated that the firm was planning to exit India following its climbing losses.

Vodafone Idea is the merged entity of Vodafone India and India’s Idea Cellular.

In a statement to the country’s Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) on Thursday, Vodafone Idea said: “As regards the exit of India operations by Vodafone Group is concerned, we wish to inform you that the company is not aware about anything on the subject as it pertains to Vodafone Group and, hence, cannot comment on the same."

In March 2017, Vodafone India and Idea Cellular had announced their merger.

Vodafone Idea has completed the network integration process in 11 out of 22 circles, and expects to finish the process next year.

The company’s active subscriber base fell from 334.1 million in the March quarter to 320 million during the three-month period ended in June.

The business witnessed a net loss of Rs 40.6701 billion (£442 million) in the first quarter ended in June, higher when compared to the net loss of Rs 27.5760bn (£300m) during the same period last year.

Vodafone’s stock market value has witnessed a declining trend. The company recently said that it continues to pay all its debts as per the schedule and has not approached any lender for debt recast.

It added that the business continues to pay the debt as and when dues come.

Meanwhile, Vodafone-Idea has been ordered by the India’s top court to pay £3.1bn last week.

The country’s beleaguered telecom companies were dealt a blow after being told by the court to pay a whopping £10.1bn bill.

After a two-decade legal wrangle, the Indian supreme court ruled that telecom firms had to pay a combined £10.1bn in the past spectrum and licensing fees.

Vodafone has said that it could also look at filing a review petition on the court's order.

More For You

JLR-Getty

A logo is pictured outside a Jaguar Land Rover new car show room in Tonbridge, south east England. (Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

UK car exports to US rebound after trade deal

UK VEHICLE exports to the United States rose in July after a new trade deal between London and Washington reduced tariffs, industry data showed on Thursday.

According to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), exports increased 6.8 per cent in July to nearly 10,000 units, following three consecutive months of decline.

Keep ReadingShow less
Relatives of jailed Briton appeal to UK minister in AgustaWestland row

Christian Michel

Relatives of jailed Briton appeal to UK minister in AgustaWestland row

THE family of Christian Michel, the British businessman accused of acting as a middleman in the AgustaWestland VVIP helicopter deal, has appealed to the UK government to push for his release from Delhi’s Tihar Jail.

Michel’s relatives met Foreign Office minister Catherine West in London on Tuesday (26). The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) said the minister listened to their concerns and updated them on ongoing steps being taken.

Keep ReadingShow less
Blackburn loses Issa empire as brothers move EG Group to US

Zuber and Mohsin Issa (Photo: LDRS)

Blackburn loses Issa empire as brothers move EG Group to US

ASIAN entrepreneurs Mohsin and Zuber Issa are moving the headquarters of their global forecourt company, EG Group, from Blackburn to the US in preparation for a major stock market listing in New York.

The firm confirmed that its main office will relocate to Charlotte, North Carolina, while a new base in Bolton, Greater Manchester, will handle its remaining UK operations, the Telegraph reported. The change brings an end to almost 25 years of the company being run from Blackburn.

Keep ReadingShow less
Migrant hotel workers call off strike after reaching agreement

Workers at Radisson Blu hotel in Canary Wharf

Migrant hotel workers call off strike after reaching agreement

WORKERS at the Radisson Blu hotel in Canary Wharf have cancelled a planned six-week strike after reaching an agreement that met all their demands.

The group of housekeepers, most of whom are migrant women from Nepal and members of the United Voices of the World (UVW) union, were due to begin industrial action on Sunday (31). It would have been the longest hotel strike in the UK since 1979, a statement said.

Keep ReadingShow less
enforcement directorate

The Enforcement Directorate searches were conducted at locations linked to the Gupta brothers, Piyoosh Goyal of World Window Group, and entities such as Sahara Computers and ITJ Retails Pvt Ltd.

Getty Images

India agency acts on South Africa request in Gupta brothers probe

INDIA's financial crime fighting agency, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Tuesday carried out searches at locations connected to the Gupta brothers of South Africa and their associates in a money laundering case.

The action followed a Mutual Legal Assistance Request (MLAR) received by India from South Africa in connection with the "state capture scam," reported PTI quoting sources.

Keep ReadingShow less