Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

US secretary of state Pompeo to visit India next week

US secretary of state Michael Pompeo will be in India from June 25-27 and hold talks with the leadership here to strengthen the strategic partnership.

His visit comes ahead of a meeting between US president Donald Trump and prime minister Narendra Modi on the sidelines of the G20 Summit in Osaka, Japan on June 28-29.


During his visit, Pompeo would hold talks with external affairs minister S Jaishankar and call upon other dignitaries, ministry of external affairs spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said at a media briefing.

"We look upon the visit as an important opportunity for both sides to further strengthen the India-US strategic partnership and continue high-level engagement on matters of mutual interest, including bilateral, regional and global issues," Kumar said.

"This is the first high-level engagement between India and the US following the elections. This is also the first incoming high-level visit from any country. We look upon this visit as an opportunity to discuss all the issues which will be on the table," Kumar said.

He said most of the issues under the bilateral framework will be discussed and there will be some talks on regional as well as global issues of mutual interest.

Asked about media reports on the US considering caps on H-1B work visa, Kumar said, "We have not heard anything officially from the US government. We continue to reiterate and engage with the US government on this matter."

On whether the issue will be taken up with Pompeo during his visit here, Kumar said it would not be right to speculate on the agenda of his meetings here.

"There is no (official) report as such. There is no US official who has come up with a statement. It is a source-based report. We have not yet heard anything from the US government on this. We remain engaged with the US administration, we remain engaged with the Congress on this issue," Kumar said.

India has emphasised time and again at interactions at all levels the contribution of Indian skilled professionals to the growth and development of the US economy, he said.

Kumar said it is important to understand that in a relationship that is as deep as it is with the US, there will be certain issues that will be on the table at all times.

"We should look at this relationship from the overall perspective. The overall direction of the relationship remains very positive," he said.

Citing the popular election slogan "Modi hai to mumkin hai", the US secretary of state Pompeo last week sought to take the bilateral relationship with India to the next level and said the Trump and Modi Administrations have a "unique opportunity" to make it happen.

"As prime minister (Narendra) Modi said in his latest campaign, 'Modi hai to mumkin hai,' or 'Modi makes it possible', I'm looking forward to exploring what's possible between our people," Pompeo said in his major India policy speech at the India Ideas Summit of US-India Business Council.

Refering to the speech, Kumar said despite all the talk of trade issues, bilateral trade has grown to $150 billion.

He cited developments such as a seven-fold increase in bilateral trade since 2001, India being granted a major defence partner status, and the US supporting India for a permanent seat in the Security Council, to assert that ties were on an upswing.

Whatever issues are there will be appropriately discussed between the two sides, the MEA spokesperson said.

On the issue of data localisation, Kumar said there are consultations taking place both within the government and also between the government and industry.

"We will remain engaged with the US on this matter and see how we can dispel any misconception on data localisation that they may have," he said.

Apart from India, Pompeo will also travel to Sri Lanka, Japan and South Korea from June 24 to 30.

His four-nation tour is aimed at deepening the US partnerships in the strategic Indo-Pacific region.

(PTI)

More For You

Lakshmi Mittal

Mittal's exit comes as Rachel Reeves prepares a fresh tax raising budget aimed at balancing the government's finances

Getty Images

Lakshmi Mittal quits Britain for Switzerland and Dubai over inheritance tax concerns

Highlights

  • Lakshmi Mittal, worth over £15 bn, has moved his tax residence from UK to Switzerland with plans to spend most time in Dubai.
  • Inheritance tax concerns, not income tax, drove the decision of the "King of Steel" to leave after 30 years in Britain.
  • The departure marks another high-profile exit as chancellor Rachel Reeves prepares major tax rises in the coming Budget.
Lakshmi Mittal, one of Britain's wealthiest men, has ended his three-decade association with the UK, relocating his tax residence to Switzerland and planning to base himself in Dubai. The 74-year-old steel magnate, worth approximately £15.5 bn according to the Asian Rich List 2025, is the latest prominent entrepreneur to leave Britain amid Labour's tax reforms targeting the super-rich.

The Indian-born billionaire built his fortune through ArcelorMittal, the world's second-largest steelmaker, in which he and his family hold nearly 40 per cent ownership. Since arriving in London in 1995, Mittal became a prominent figure in British business, acquiring expensive properties including a £57 m mansion on Kensington Palace Gardens known as the "Taj Mittal."

An adviser familiar with Mittal's family plans told The Sunday Times that, inheritance tax was the decisive factor in the decision. "It wasn't the tax on income or capital gains that was the issue, the issue was inheritance tax."

Keep ReadingShow less