Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Scottish finance chief quits after report he messaged 16-year-old boy

Scotland's finance chief has resigned after a newspaper report that he had sent hundreds of messages to a 16-year-old boy.

Scottish Finance Secretary Derek Mackay, 42, apologized for what he said was foolish behavior.


"I have behaved foolishly and I am truly sorry," Scottish Finance Secretary Derek Mackay said in a statement. "I apologize unreservedly to the individual involved and his family."

"Serving in government has been a huge privilege and I am sorry to have let colleagues and supporters down," he added.

The Sun newspaper reported that Mackay, seen as a potential leader of Scotland, had sent about 270 messages to the boy on Instagram over a six-month period, telling the boy that he was "cute" and inviting him to dinner.

Mackay had been due to deliver the Scottish government's annual budget on Thursday, when the report came out on the front page of the Sun's Scottish edition.

He said that he spoke to Scotland's first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, and resigned last night.

Sturgeon said that Mackay's behavior "failed to meet the standards required" and that the public finance minister will deliver Scotland's budget instead.

(Reuters)

More For You

andy-burnham-starmer

Andy Burnham goes for his morning run on May 16, 2026 in Warrington, United Kingdom.

Photo by Gary Oakley/Getty Images)

Minister backs ​Andy Burnham as Labour leadership race takes shape

EDUCATION SECRETARY Bridget Phillipson became the first Cabinet minister to publicly support Andy Burnham's bid to return to parliament, as the Greater Manchester mayor moves closer to a possible challenge for the Labour leadership.

Phillipson on Saturday (16) told BBC that she had "certainly no intention to stand in the way of Andy being a candidate," adding that he would be "a strong candidate in putting himself forward."

Keep ReadingShow less