Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Oxford jab chief criticises UK's Covid booster shot plan

Oxford jab chief criticises UK's Covid booster shot plan

COVID booster shots are not currently needed and the doses should be given to other countries, Oxford vaccine chief Andrew Pollard said on Tuesday (10) in contrast to the position taken by Britain's health minister Sajid Javid amid reports that the UK is set to "hoard" up to 210 million spare jabs.

Oxford jab chief, who led the team that created the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, has criticised UK’s covid booster plan saying the vaccines need to "go where they can have the greatest impact". 


Claiming Britain itself currently has no reason to panic, Pollard also said that a decision to offer booster shots should be based on scientific studies, and there had not been any evidence yet of an increase in severe disease or deaths among the fully vaccinated, reports said.

"The time we would need to boost is if we see evidence that there was an increase in hospitalisation - or the next stage after that, which would be people dying - amongst those who are vaccinated," Pollard said. 

Pollard also warned that herd immunity was "not a possibility" because the delta variant would continue to infect people who had been vaccinated.

Britain is reportedly planning for a Covid booster programme in autumn. Javid has said earlier that he expected the booster programme to begin in early September, pending final advice from officials.

While AstraZeneca has said it needs more time to assess whether boosters are needed to maintain protection, Pfizer has claimed that it expects a third shot will be needed to keep protection high, reports said.

Pollard’s statement comes a few days after the World Health Organisation (WHO) called on countries that are planning booster programmes to delay them until more people are vaccinated around the world.

Meanwhile, a report stated that the UK is on course to “hoard” up to 210m spare coronavirus vaccines by the end of the year.

About 467m jabs are on order, with 306m due to be delivered to the UK by the end of 2021, data from life science analytics company Airfinity found. However, only about 95m jabs will be needed to fulfil the expected demand of vaccinating all over-16s and giving a booster dose to the most vulnerable in autumn.

Nick Dearden, director of the organisation, told the Guardian it was an “insult to the thousands dying each day” that the UK was offering third doses and preparing to vaccinate teenagers while low- and middle-income countries were left “fighting for scraps”.

More For You

Seema Malhotra

The UK is moving towards a "contribution-based" system, where settlement depends on economic contribution

Getty Images

Seema Malhotra defends immigration reforms, raises concern over student asylum claims during India visit

Highlights

  • Indo-Pacific minister addresses immigration concerns during Chennai visit.
  • 16,000 students applied for asylum in UK after finishing studies last year.
  • Indian student numbers to UK drop 11 per cent amid tougher immigration rules.
Britain's Indo-Pacific minister Seema Malhotra has stood by the government's immigration reforms while visiting India, highlighting concerns over international students who claim asylum after their courses end.
During her visit to Chennai, Malhotra told the BBC that the reforms were "in line with what countries around the world do" to stop abuse of immigration systems. She stressed there was a "very strong message we also send, which is that we welcome those coming legally".
The minister disclosed that roughly 16,000 international students worldwide had filed asylum applications in the UK following the completion of their studies last year, describing this trend as clear evidence of legal pathway abuse. Latest Home Office data indicates an additional 14,800 students made similar asylum claims between January and June 2025.

Student number drops

India continues to be a major source of international students for UK institutions, representing a quarter of all foreign student arrivals in 2023-2024. Despite this, interest appears to be waning, with an 11 per cent decline in Indian student applications from the previous year as stricter immigration measures come into force.

This downturn has raised alarm amongst British universities already facing financial pressures and dependent on international student revenue.

Keep ReadingShow less