Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Process to hire new Bank of England governor has not been delayed, says Javid

THE process to appoint the next Bank of England governor remains on track, and parliament will have time to scrutinise the new appointment before Governor Mark Carney steps down, chancellor Sajid Javid said in a letter released on Tuesday (8).

Javid's predecessor, Philip Hammond, said the appointment would be made this autumn, but members of parliament's Treasury Committee wrote to Javid last month with concerns that the process had become delayed.


"You asked for an update on this important recruitment process. It is on track. In terms of the appointment itself, we will make an announcement in due course, ahead of the start of the next Governor's term on 1 February 2020," Javid wrote to the committee in a letter released on Tuesday.

The Treasury Committee typically questions senior BoE staff before they take office, and although it lacks a formal veto, it can pressure officials to step down, most recently with BoE chief operating officer Charlotte Hogg.

"I would like to assure you that the Committee will have the opportunity and time to scrutinise the successful candidate after the appointment has been made but before the individual has taken up the role," Javid wrote.

Canadian Carney is due to end his posting in London at the end of January.

Among those rumoured to be in the race for the job are Baroness Shriti Vadera, chair of Santander UK and Indian Raghuram Rajan, who was previously the governor of the Reserve Bank of India

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

ArcelorMittal

A Russian missile strike has damaged ArcelorMittal’s steel plant in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine.

ArcelorMittal (REUTERS/David W Cerny/File Photo)

Russia hits Lakshmi Mittal's Ukraine steel plant as missile strike kills two

  • Two people were killed and 13 injured after the strike on the plant.
  • Energy and blast furnace facilities were damaged in the attack.
  • The steelworks was previously hit by a Russian missile strike in 2022.

Russia’s missile war has hit one of Ukraine’s biggest industrial businesses, with ArcelorMittal Kryvyi Rih, the steel plant owned by Indian billionaire Lakshmi Mittal, partially halting production after an overnight strike.

Two people were killed and 13 employees and contractors were injured after the plant in Kryvyi Rih, central Ukraine, was hit by a Russian missile on the night of Sunday (16), according to the company.

Keep ReadingShow less