Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Johnson may consider "mix-and-match" unlocking amid SAGE's warning of third wave

Johnson may consider "mix-and-match" unlocking amid SAGE's warning of third wave

BRITAIN may see “mix-and-match” unlocking on June 21, with some measures like work from home and mask guidance likely to remain in place, as numbers of daily infections continue to rise in the country.

“A mix-and-match approach is probably on the cards, given the limited number of levers left,” a government source told The Times after prime minister Boris Johnson raised concern over the rising number of cases and hospitalisations.


"What everybody can see very clearly is that cases are going up and, in some places, hospitalisations are going up,” Johnson said on Wednesday (9).

“What we need to assess is the extent to which the vaccine rollout, which has been phenomenal, has built up enough protection in the population in order for us to go ahead to the next stage."

Previously, the prime minister had repeatedly said he had seen nothing in the data to justify a delay. The official update from the government is expected on Monday (14).

Key ministers and officials will reportedly discuss a range of options on Sunday (13), when Johnson on the sidelines will be hosting the G7, including a two-to-four-week delay and the possibility of a watered-down reopening that keeps some rules in place.

GettyImages 1233318669 (Photo by Niklas HALLE'N / AFP) (Photo by NIKLAS HALLE'N/AFP via Getty Images)

The tweaked rules of reopening are expected to include lifting the current 30-person limit on weddings and receptions and allowing far greater crowds to attend ceremonies, bringing it in line with the government's policy on funerals.

Bar mitzvahs and christenings are also set to be boosted under the proposals. While socially distanced tables may not be required, guests will still be urged to be cautious about contact with other households, as per a media report.

Meanwhile, fear over more transmissible delta variant remains amid constantly rising daily new cases as SAGE modellers have now highlighted the risk of a “substantial third wave”.

Top SAGE adviser professor Neil Ferguson warned that it will take up to another three weeks for scientists to get enough data to accurately work out how dangerous the delta variant (first reported in India) is and how bad the third wave will be.

The warning of the third wave comes on Wednesday (9), when the country reported 7,540 new cases in the biggest week-on-week spike since February, with the delta variant suspected for spiralling the numbers.

More For You

Tan Sri Sir Francis Yeoh delivers profound leadership talk at the Asian Business Awards 2025

Tan Sri Sir Francis Yeoh with Nihal Arthanayake

Tan Sri Sir Francis Yeoh delivers profound leadership talk at the Asian Business Awards 2025

Mahesh Liloriya

In a defining moment of the 27th Asian Business Awards, Tan Sri Sir Francis Yeoh delivered an extraordinary and deeply inspiring Leadership Talk on stage, in conversation with well-known British broadcaster Nihal Arthanayake.

The session stood out as one of the most powerful highlights of the evening, offering profound insight into the inner world of one of ASEAN’s most respected global business icons. Tan Sri, who had flown in directly from Malaysia for this historic occasion, moved the audience with his rare humility, spiritual depth, and striking clarity of thought.

Keep ReadingShow less