Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Indian variant doubles in UK posing threat to roadmap out of lockdown

Indian variant doubles in UK posing threat to roadmap out of lockdown
CASES of the Indian variant in the UK have doubled to almost 7,000 in the past week, Public Health England said, sparking fresh concerns over stage four of prime minister Boris Johnson’s roadmap out of lockdown.
Health secretary Matt Hancock said on Thursday (27) the Indian variant now accounts for 75 per cent of all new infections in the country.
"The latest estimates are that more than half and potentially as many as three-quarters of all new cases are now of this variant," said Hancock, adding “we must remain vigilant."
The new variant is also considered the reason behind the recent spike seen in fresh Covid numbers, with daily new cases crossing 3,000 for the first time since mid-April.
The Indian strain is now confirmed to be present in more than 250 of the UK's 315 authorities, out of which 168 have seen a rise in rates in the past week, PHE data shows.
Bolton, Bedford, and Blackburn with Darwen continue to be the worst-affected areas while Hyndburn, Rossendale, and Kirklees have also reported some cases of the new variant.
The variant of concern is thought to spread more rapidly than the previously dominant B.1.1.7 "Kent" variant, although experts say that vaccines are almost as effective against B.1.617.2 as they are against the Kent variant.
Johnson warned the lifting of lockdown restrictions “may have to wait” on June 21 amid a concerning rise in cases of the Indian variant of Covid-19.
"I don't see anything currently in the data to suggest that we have to deviate from the roadmap, but we may need to wait," he said.
The final stage of the easing of England’s lockdown restrictions is expected on June 21, when it’s hoped all legal limits on social distancing will be removed. The UK government says a final decision on the date will be made on 14 June.
Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

Fruits and vegetables

Britain’s reliance on imported fruit and vegetables could make food prices more vulnerable to climate shocks

iStock

Britain’s fruit bowl could be at risk as climate change hits the countries it relies on

  • Around 40 per cent of Britain’s food is imported, including 80 per cent of its fruit.
  • The UK is already seeing domestic crops affected by heatwaves, drought and wildfires.
  • Researchers warn climate pressures could make fresh food more expensive and harder to secure.

Britain is increasingly exposed to that risk because it relies heavily on imported fruit and vegetables, including from countries that are themselves facing growing pressure from rising temperatures, drought and extreme weather.

Around 40 per cent of the UK's food is imported, according to a new report from the Food Foundation. The figure rises to 80 per cent for fruit and 47 per cent for vegetables, leaving Britain particularly dependent on overseas growers for some of the fresh foods people buy most often.

Keep ReadingShow less