Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

India 'shocked' at Qatar death penalty for eight citizens

New Delhi says it will continue to extend all consular and legal assistance to the prisoners

India 'shocked' at Qatar death penalty for eight citizens

INDIA said on Thursday (26) that eight of its citizens had been sentenced to death by Qatar in a case that media reported involved high-ranking ex-naval officers accused of spying.

New Delhi said it would "take up the verdict with Qatari authorities" and would continue to "extend all consular and legal assistance" to the prisoners, the foreign ministry said in a statement.

"We have initial information that the Court of First Instance of Qatar has today passed a judgement in the case involving eight Indian employees of Al Dahra company," the statement added.

"We are deeply shocked by the verdict of death penalty and are awaiting the detailed judgement."

Al Dahra is a Gulf-based company that offers "complete support solutions" to the aerospace, security and defence sectors, according to its website.

There was no immediate confirmation from the Qatari authorities.

India's foreign ministry gave no further details on the eight condemned or their alleged crimes.

"Due to the confidential nature of proceedings of this case, it would not be appropriate to make any further comment at this juncture," the ministry statement added, saying it was "exploring all legal options".

However, several Indian media outlets reported that among those sentenced were ex-naval officers – including former captains and commanders – and that the men had been arrested in Doha in August 2022.

The Times of India, Hindustan Times and the Press Trust of India all reported that the men were arrested for an "alleged case of espionage".

(AFP)

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

UK Farmers

Farmers are bringing in crops early as prolonged drought puts yields and water supplies under pressure

iStock

Britain puts £65m behind farmers as drought starts threatening the country’s food supply

  • Farmers in England will receive an additional £65m in support.
  • £15m will help fund on-farm reservoirs for future dry periods.
  • Britain is facing its third drought in five years.

Britain is putting £65 million into emergency support for farmers as the country's prolonged drought begins to threaten not just agricultural incomes but the reliability of its food supply.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham announced the package on August 15, after England and Wales recorded their driest July on record. The support will go towards sustainable farming, new on-farm reservoirs and making it easier for farmers to access water during periods of shortage.

Keep ReadingShow less