Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India to probe deaths of disabled children at home

India announced an investigation on Sunday into the deaths of 12 mainly mentally and physically disabled children at a government-run home amid fears they were given toxic water or food.

The children, many of them reportedly orphans, were raced to hospital in the last two weeks in the northern state of Rajasthan after going into septic shock at the home outside the tourist city of Jaipur.


Three other children are fighting for their lives in a critical condition, according to the Hindustan Times newspaper on Sunday.

Health and Family Welfare Minister J P Nadda said he dispatched a team to probe “the causes of water and food contamination” in a bid to “prevent such incidents in the future”.

Nadda said 12 had died at the home for disabled people, with doctors and other officials saying last week that almost all of them were children.

“The five-member team will include a senior paediatrician, epidemiologist and microbiologist and will reach Jaipur today,” Nadda said in Sunday’s statement.

“A detailed report in the incident is expected shortly,” he added.

According to the Hindustan Times, around 200 children, aged from six to 15, live at the Jamdoli government home, with about 10 to 15 sharing a bedroom each.

India has a poor history of treating people including children with mental disabilities and illnesses, and reports of overcrowding and shoddy care in institutions and homes are not uncommon.

For every one million people in India, there are only three psychiatrists and even fewer psychologists, according to the WHO.

A doctor at the hospital in Jaipur, where some 15 children were initially admitted, said they were suffering from “septicaemia and septic shock”.

“These were mentally handicapped and physically disabled children. The immunity of such children is usually lower than their normal, healthy counterparts. Their bodies find it tough to cope,” medical superintendent Ashok Gupta told reporters last week

More For You

London tourist levy

The capital recorded 89 m overnight stays in 2024

iStock

London to introduce tourist levy that could raise £240 million a year

Kumail Jaffer

Highlights

  • Government expected to give London powers to bring in a tourist levy on overnight stays.
  • GLA study says a £1 fee could raise £91m, a 5 per cent charge could generate £240m annually.
  • Research suggests London would not see a major fall in visitor numbers if levy introduced.
The mayor of London has welcomed reports that he will soon be allowed to introduce a tourist levy on overnight visitors, with new analysis outlining how a charge could work in the capital.
Early estimates suggest a London levy could raise as much as £240 m every year. The capital recorded 89 m overnight stays in 2024.

Chancellor Rachel Reeves is expected to give Sadiq Khan and other English city leaders the power to impose such a levy through the upcoming English Devolution and Community Empowerment Bill. London currently cannot set its own tourist tax, making England the only G7 nation where national government blocks local authorities from doing so.

A spokesperson for the mayor said City Hall supported the idea in principle, adding “The Mayor has been clear that a modest tourist levy, similar to other international cities, would boost our economy, deliver growth and help cement London’s reputation as a global tourism and business destination.”

Keep ReadingShow less