Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

India-China standoff 'very serious and worrying', says Johnson as he calls for dialogue

BORIS JOHNSON has called on India and China to engage in dialogue to sort out their border issues as he described the escalation in the Himalayan region as “a very serious and worrying situation”.

The British prime minister added that the UK was "monitoring closely" developments, while making his first official statement on the issue in the House of Commons on Wednesday (24).


Johnson was responding to Conservative MP Flick Drummond's query on the implications for British interests of a dispute between a “Commonwealth member and the world’s largest democracy on the one side, and a state that challenges our notion of democracy on the other.”.

“Perhaps the best thing I can say… is that we are encouraging both parties to engage in dialogue on the issues on the border and sort it out between them,” he said.

In a statement in New Delhi on Wednesday, the Indian external affairs ministry said both countries had agreed that expeditious implementation of the previously agreed understanding on disengagement of troops from standoff points in eastern Ladakh would help ensure peace and tranquillity in the border areas.

During the diplomatic talks between India and China, the situation in the region was discussed in detail and the Indian side conveyed its concerns over the violent face-off in Galwan Valley on June 15.

Twenty Indian Army personnel were killed in the clash that involved no use of firearms. China has maintained silence over the number of its casualties.

The talks were held in the midst of escalating tension between the two countries following the violent clashes in Galwan Valley on June 15.

The Indian and Chinese armies continue to be engaged in a standoff in Pangong Tso, Galwan Valley, Demchok and Daulat Beg Oldie in eastern Ladakh. The region has been witnessing massive Indian and Chinese troop deployment along the de-facto border in several areas including Pangong Tso.

More For You

Reeves faces tough test as Labour prepares 'tax-heavy' budget

Rachel Reeves speaks to the media during a visit to a branch of a Tesco supermarket in London on November 19, 2025. (Photo by LEON NEAL/POOL/AFP via Getty Images)

Reeves faces tough test as Labour prepares 'tax-heavy' budget

LABOUR government is braced for a major political and economic test on Wednesday (26) as chancellor Rachel Reeves prepares to deliver a budget expected to include tax rises, new support for households and measures aimed at stabilising public finances.

Prime minister Keir Starmer has promised a “Labour budget with Labour values”, built around easing the cost-of-living crisis, reducing NHS waiting lists and supporting families facing rising bills.

Keep ReadingShow less