Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

Government to continue trade talks with India despite Canada’s allegations

Earlier this month, India and the UK agreed to continue to work towards a “landmark� free trade agreement

Government to continue trade talks with India despite Canada’s allegations

The government said on Tuesday (19) that the "serious allegations" over the murder of a Sikh separatist leader in Canada will not impact its own ongoing trade negotiations with India.

Prime minister Rishi Sunak's spokesperson at 10 Downing Street was asked about the impact the issue may have on India-UK relations after a government spokesperson said the UK remains in "close touch" with the Canadian authorities.


It follows Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau's statement in Parliament on Monday (18) that it is pursuing "credible allegations" of "potential" Indian links to the killing of Khalistani separatist leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar, the Chief of Khalistan Tiger Force and a designated terrorist. Canada also expelled an Indian diplomat.

The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in New Delhi on Tuesday strongly rejected the claims as "absurd and motivated" and dismissed a senior Canadian diplomat in a reciprocal move.

"We are in close touch with our Canadian partners about these serious allegations,” a UK government spokesperson said.

"It would be inappropriate to comment further during the ongoing investigation by the Canadian authorities,” the spokesperson said.

Later, when Sunak's spokesperson was pressed on the matter, he said work on the trade negotiations with India "continue as before".

India and the UK earlier this month agreed to continue to work at pace towards a “landmark” free trade agreement (FTA).

(PTI)

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

UK Farmers

Farmers are bringing in crops early as prolonged drought puts yields and water supplies under pressure

iStock

Britain puts £65m behind farmers as drought starts threatening the country’s food supply

  • Farmers in England will receive an additional £65m in support.
  • £15m will help fund on-farm reservoirs for future dry periods.
  • Britain is facing its third drought in five years.

Britain is putting £65 million into emergency support for farmers as the country's prolonged drought begins to threaten not just agricultural incomes but the reliability of its food supply.

Prime Minister Andy Burnham announced the package on August 15, after England and Wales recorded their driest July on record. The support will go towards sustainable farming, new on-farm reservoirs and making it easier for farmers to access water during periods of shortage.

Keep ReadingShow less