Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

France says contaminated eggs were sold but health risk minimal

Nearly 250,000 eggs contaminated with an insecticide have reached shops in France and most of them have already been eaten, the French farm ministry said on Friday, adding that it saw minimal health risks from the incident. “The levels of actual contamination do not pose any risks for consumers,” it said, citing an investigation by France’s health and safety agency that pointed to “very low” risks. 

“But while the risk to human health has been ruled out, investigations are being actively pursued at poultry farms and manufacturing sites of egg-based products,” it added. Millions of chicken eggs have been pulled from European supermarket shelves due to the presence of fipronil, with several European countries affected by the incident. The popular insecticide, used to treat pets for fleas and ticks, is banned in the food chain and Dutch police arrested two directors of a local company on Thursday in an investigation into the source of the contamination. 


In France, a batch of 196,000 contaminated eggs was imported from Belgium and put on the market between April 16 and May 2, followed by a second batch of 48,000 eggs from the Netherlands that reached shops between July 19-28, the farm ministry said in a statement. The eggs from the first batch and some from the second would have been consumed by now, the ministry said, adding that eggs still on sale from the second batch had been removed from shelves by the retailer concerned – the Leader Price chain owned by Casino. 

The French authorities had previously identified five food processing factories that had received contaminated eggs from Belgium and the Netherlands. They had now identified a further two food factories that had imported contaminated egg-based ingredients from Belgium, the ministry said. 

The European Commissioner charged with food safety called on Friday for a meeting of ministers and national watchdogs to discuss the egg contamination scare that has provoked finger-pointing between European Union countries.

More For You

London tourist levy

The capital recorded 89 m overnight stays in 2024

iStock

London to introduce tourist levy that could raise £240 million a year

Kumail Jaffer

Highlights

  • Government expected to give London powers to bring in a tourist levy on overnight stays.
  • GLA study says a £1 fee could raise £91m, a 5 per cent charge could generate £240m annually.
  • Research suggests London would not see a major fall in visitor numbers if levy introduced.
The mayor of London has welcomed reports that he will soon be allowed to introduce a tourist levy on overnight visitors, with new analysis outlining how a charge could work in the capital.
Early estimates suggest a London levy could raise as much as £240 m every year. The capital recorded 89 m overnight stays in 2024.

Chancellor Rachel Reeves is expected to give Sadiq Khan and other English city leaders the power to impose such a levy through the upcoming English Devolution and Community Empowerment Bill. London currently cannot set its own tourist tax, making England the only G7 nation where national government blocks local authorities from doing so.

A spokesperson for the mayor said City Hall supported the idea in principle, adding “The Mayor has been clear that a modest tourist levy, similar to other international cities, would boost our economy, deliver growth and help cement London’s reputation as a global tourism and business destination.”

Keep ReadingShow less