Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Submit Guest Post

De Kock withdraws from South Africa team after refusing to take knee

De Kock withdraws from South Africa team after refusing to take knee

Quinton de Kock on Tuesday withdrew from South Africa's Twenty20 World Cup match against the West Indies "for personal reasons" after refusing to take the knee.

Skipper Temba Bavuma said the wicketkeeper-batsman, a former national captain, had made himself unavailable in their crucial Super 12 game in Dubai.


The decision raised eyebrows as De Kock, 28, had previously refused to take part in the anti-racism gesture that has become a regular feature in most sporting events.

"Cricket South Africa (CSA) has noted the personal decision by South African wicketkeeper Quinton de Kock not to take the knee ahead of Tuesday's game against the West Indies," said a CSA statment.

"The Board will await a further report from team management before deciding on the next steps. All players are expected to follow this directive (to take the knee) for the remaining games of the World Cup."

Earlier, the CSA said "concerns were raised that the different postures taken by team members in support of the BLM (Black Lives Matter) initiative created an unintended perception of disparity or lack of support for the initiative.

"After considering all relevant issues, including the position of the players, the Board felt that it was imperative for the team to be seen taking a united and consistent stand against racism, especially given SA's history."

De Kock refused to take a knee in South Africa's Test series in the West Indies earlier this year.

- 'My own opinion' -

"My reason? I'll keep it to myself. It's my own, personal opinion," he said at the time.

"It's everyone's decision. No-one's forced to do anything, not in life. That's the way I see things."

Eoin Morgan's England took the knee along with the West Indies on day one of the ongoing World Cup and India and Pakistan followed in their key clash on Sunday.

The South Africans playing in Tuesday's game took the knee before the start of the game.

"A commitment to overcoming racism is the glue that should unite, bind and strengthen us," CSA board chairperson Lawson Naidoo said.

"Race should not be manipulated to amplify our weaknesses. Diversity can and should find expression in many facets of our daily lives, but not when it comes to taking a stand against racism."

The statement further added, "Cricket is the second most watched sport globally and the ICC Men's T20 World Cup, being held in the UAE and Oman, is the ideal platform for the Proteas to highlight the national resolve to heal the divisions of the past."

De Kock is one of his country's star players and a regular choice across all three formats of the game

He has made over 10,000 international runs and was briefly captain of the Test side before stepping down earlier this year.

When South Africa played the West Indies in St Lucia in June, only six of the 11 players in the starting line-up took a knee.

- 'No division' -

Others, including captain Dean Elgar, stood with right fists raised. De Kock stood with his hands behind his back.

However, black fast bowler Lungi Ngidi, who played in that game, insisted the team remained united.

"It's not fair for me to speak for other people, everyone's entitled to their own choices in life. I've been very clear on my stance," he said.

"In terms of the team, there is no division at all. We play for South Africa which is all we are trying to do as players."

In August this year, South Africa assistant coach Enoch Nkwe resigned after apparent disagreements with under-pressure head coach Mark Boucher.

Nkwe's resignation came against a backdrop of widespread criticism of Boucher following revelations made at hearings into racism in South African cricket.

The criticism intensified when black former players alleged they were not made to feel welcome in the national team environment during the period in which Boucher was a prominent member of the team.

Former spin bowler Paul Adams said he was racially abused during fines meetings presided over by Boucher.

Boucher later apologised for "any offensive conduct, real or perceived" brought to light during hearings.

Add EasternEye As Your Trusted Source
preferred source on google news

More For You

'Niu Lai' goes from £842 flop to box office hit after ‘an embarrassment to cinema!’ backlash

Niu Lai, a low-budget animation made by a mother-and-son team

X/ okmetom

'Niu Lai' goes from £842 flop to box office hit after ‘an embarrassment to cinema!’ backlash

Highlights

  • Niu Lai, a crude animation made by a two-person team, has become an unlikely Chinese box office hit.
  • The film initially made just £842 before online mockery turned it into a viral sensation.
  • Its latest box office has passed £1.6 million, putting the tiny production alongside major blockbusters.

A crude animated film about a calf and a skylark has gone from being mocked online to becoming one of the most unlikely box office stories of the year.

Niu Lai, translated as The Cow is Coming, opened in China on 5 August with virtually no publicity. The 86-minute film reportedly made just £842 in its first 10 days, with fewer than 300 people buying tickets nationwide. There was no trailer, promotional tour or major pre-release campaign.

Keep ReadingShow less