Skip to content
Search

Latest Stories

Britain's new mass testing scheme to limit the spread of the coronavirus to begin in Liverpool

A NEW pilot scheme to use testing to limit the spread of the coronavirus will be launched in Liverpool this week.

The Covid-19 mass testing scheme offers everyone tests whether or not they have symptoms, in an attempt to find


Prime minister Boris Johnson promised a "world-beating" national test-and-trace system earlier this year, whereby people with symptoms get tested and the contacts of positive cases are asked to self-isolate.

But the scheme has disappointed and the government's scientific advisory body said last month its impact on virus transmission was marginal.

The UK has the highest Covid-19 death toll in Europe, and a second national lockdown is due to come into force in England on Thursday(5), but the government has cited the prospect of regular mass-testing, which can pick up asymptomatic cases, by the spring as a reason for optimism.

"It is early days, but this kind of mass testing has the potential to be a powerful new weapon in our fight against Covid-19," prime minister Boris Johnson said in a statement.

The government said the Liverpool pilot would start on Friday(6) using PCR swab tests, the default testing method to date, as well as new lateral flow tests and so-called LAMP tests, aimed at delivering faster results without the need for laboratory processing.

Everyone living or working in the city, one of the worst-hit in the country, will be offered repeat tests at existing sites as well as numerous new sites including care homes, schools, universities and workplaces.

Johnson said that dependent on the pilot's success, millions of the new rapid tests could be distributed elsewhere in the country before Christmas to help local authorities drive down transmission in their areas.

Many countries are exploring the role mass testing can play in containing the virus. Over the weekend, two-thirds of the Slovakian population were tested under such a scheme.

However, the head of the World Health Organization's (WHO) emergencies programme, Mike Ryan, has said that broad population testing is costly and unrealistic even if some testing of asymptomatic people can be helpful.

"Some caution is needed to qualify headlines that mass testing will somehow transform the situation we are now in," said Alexander Edwards, associate Professor in Biomedical Technology at the University of Reading.

"Any testing programme can only be helpful in reducing health and economic impact of Covid-19 if it fits into a larger, coherent and effective strategy to slow transmission."

More For You

Royal Mail

Company describes as the most significant redesign in its 175-year history

Getty Images

3,500 solar-powered postboxes set to transform Royal Mail across the UK

Highlights:

  • Royal Mail is rolling out 3,500 redesigned solar-powered postboxes.
  • The upgrade allows customers to post small parcels via a digital drawer.
  • The move marks the biggest redesign in the company’s 175-year history.
  • Rollout begins in Edinburgh, Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester after successful pilots.

Royal Mail launches major redesign

Royal Mail is set to introduce 3,500 solar-powered postboxes across the UK, in what the company describes as the most significant redesign in its 175-year history. The new-look boxes, fitted with solar panels and digital technology, are designed to accommodate small parcels as well as letters.

How the new postboxes work

The redesigned boxes feature solar panels on top, aligned southwards for maximum sunlight. A barcode scanner beneath the slot activates a drop-down drawer, which can fit parcels up to the size of a shoebox. Customers will be able to access the service via the Royal Mail app, request proof of posting and track their parcels.

Keep ReadingShow less
Keir-Starmer-Getty

Pandit is the third senior Starmer aide to leave after chief of staff Sue Gray in October and director of communications Matthew Doyle in March..(Photo: Getty Images)

Getty Images

Starmer to replace top aide Nin Pandit after 10 months

PRIME MINISTER Keir Starmer is set to replace his principal private secretary Nin Pandit, who has held the role for ten months.

Pandit is the third senior aide to leave after chief of staff Sue Gray in October and director of communications Matthew Doyle in March.

Keep ReadingShow less
ChatGPT

Matt and Maria Raine filed the case in the Superior Court of California on Tuesday

iStock

'ChatGPT encouraged him to take his life': Parents of Adam Raine sue OpenAI

Highlights:

  • Matt and Maria Raine have filed a lawsuit against OpenAI following the death of their 16-year-old son, Adam.
  • The suit claims ChatGPT validated the teenager’s suicidal thoughts and failed to intervene appropriately.
  • OpenAI expressed sympathy and said it is reviewing the case.
  • The company admitted its systems have not always behaved as intended in sensitive situations.

A California couple has launched legal action against OpenAI, alleging its chatbot ChatGPT played a role in their teenage son’s suicide.

Matt and Maria Raine filed the case in the Superior Court of California on Tuesday, accusing the company of negligence and wrongful death. Their 16-year-old son, Adam, died in April 2025. It is the first known lawsuit of its kind against the artificial intelligence firm.

Keep ReadingShow less
Musk pledges to back legal cases over child sexual abuse failures
Elon Musk (Photo: Reuters)

Musk pledges to back legal cases over child sexual abuse failures

US tech billionaire Elon Musk has said he will help fund legal cases against officials he believes turned a blind eye to child sexual abuse. His intervention follows a private investigation revealing that such abuse has occurred in 85 local authorities across Britain, reported the Telegraph.

Musk posted on X that he wants to “fund legal actions against corrupt officials who aided and abetted the rape of Britain,” referencing findings from an unofficial inquiry. He encouraged victims and their families to get in touch directly through the platform.

Keep ReadingShow less
england-flags-reuters

A Union Jack flag and England's flag of St George hang from a pedestrain bridge as a man walks past, in Radcliffe, near Manchester, August 22, 2025. (Photo: Reuters)

Reuters

Union Jack and St George’s Cross at centre of migration tensions

Highlights:

  • Flags more visible across England amid migration debate
  • Protests outside hotels for asylum seekers linked to flag displays
  • Councils removing some flags citing safety concerns

THE RED and white St George's Cross and the Union Jack have been appearing across England in recent weeks. Supporters say the move is about national pride, while others see it as linked to rising anti-immigration sentiment.

Keep ReadingShow less