BBC NEWSREADER George Alagiah revealed on Monday (15) that he needs treatment after his cancer returned.
The 62-year-old presenter of the News at Six was diagnosed with bowel cancer in 2014, which later spread to his liver and lymph nodes. He returned to work in November 2015 after being cleared of the disease following extensive treatment.
But Alagiah’s agent, Mary Greenham, said the disease had recurred. She said the father of two was in discussions with doctors about treatment options.
The Sri Lankan-born journalist spoke of his determination to fight the disease for a second time.
“My brilliant doctors are determined to get me back to a disease-free state and they have the skill to do just that,” he said. “I learned last time around how important the support of family and friends is and I am blessed in that department. I genuinely feel positive as I prepare for this new challenge.”
The presenter first told his doctors of a problem in 2014. After a colonoscopy, a tumour was discovered on his bowel.
MRI scans later detected eight tumours in his liver. He had several rounds of chemotherapy and three major operations, one of which included the removal of most of his liver.
Alagiah joined the BBC in 1989 and spent many years as one of the corporation’s leading foreign correspondents before moving to presenting the News at Six in 2007.
Last year, the publication of a list of the best-paid on-screen staff at the corporation revealed that he was paid between £250,000 and £299,999 annually, making him the highest earner from an ethnic minority background.
A BBC spokesman said: “Everyone at the BBC sends George and his family their best wishes as he undergoes treatment. We will be thinking of them.”