Cancer Research UK
Mental Health Media
Elephant Atta
College of Policing

Indian origin man gets arrested in the US for son’s dead

In the United States a 34-year-old Indian-origin man has been charged with risk of injury to a child and evidence tampering for allegedly failing to seek medical care for his 1-month-old son after realising that the infant was unresponsive.

Divya Patel of Rocky Hill in Connecticut was arrested after police discovered his one-month-old child dead in the backseat of his car on Sunday.

According to a news channel report, “The arrest warrant states he and the baby’s mother have been living from hotel to hotel since the baby was born. Patel also told police the baby had been born prematurely and suffered some health issues”.

The warrant also states that on Saturday evening, Patel called the baby’s mother and said the baby was not breathing.

The mother told police she tried to get him to meet her at Saint Francis Hospital, but he never showed up. Instead, he told the mother to meet him at the Marriot Residence Inn in Rocky Hill.

In her police sworn statement, the mother said she last saw her baby alive around 5 am Saturday before she left the Residence Inn to go stay at another hotel because she and Patel had a fight. She told police that the child was with his father in a car parked at the Residence Inn on Cromwell Ave. When officers arrived, they were unable to locate Patel or the child. They contacted him via cell phone, but he was uncooperative and would not tell police his location, NBC Connecticut reported.

After about 30 minutes, Patel returned to the Residence Inn where officers located the unresponsive child.

The child was taken to Connecticut Children’s Medical Centre in Hartford and pronounced dead.

During their investigation, police learned that Patel was aware his child had died and did not render aid or seek emergency care.

Patel is being held on a USD 1 million bond. He appeared in New Britain Superior court on Tuesday and is due back in court on December 5. Police said the investigation is ongoing and additional charges are pending.