Covid header banner

Indian Airforce officer arrested for passing secret information to Pakistan’s ISI

The Delhi Police’s special cell unit on Thursday arrested an Indian Air Force (IAF) officer on charges of espionage and passing on classified information to Pakistani intelligence agency Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI). 

The 51-year-old, group captain Arun Marwaha had been indulging in activities through unauthorised electronic devices which is against existing orders. He used various social media platforms to pass on the information. 

Marwah was handed over to the Special Cell’s northern range on Wednesday after being interrogated for nearly 10 days by the counter intelligence wing of the IAF, a senior police official said.         

“We have arrested a senior officer of the Indian Air Force. He has been booked under the Official Secrets Act. Further investigation is on,” MM Oberoi, special commissioner (special cell) of Delhi Police, said without divulging further details. 

According to an officer, Marwah, who was posted at the Air Force headquarters, was allegedly leaking classified documents to a woman through WhatsApp. He had befriended her through Facebook in December last year.   

As per the complaint filed against Marwah by the Air Force, he was caught by the counter-intelligence wing after he was found carrying a high-end phone at the headquarters, which are banned there. 

His mobile phone has been seized and an FIR has been registered at New Delhi’s Lodhi Colony police station after the IAF’s complaint following its initial probe. 

Till now, cops have not found any evidence of a monetary exchange and say Marwaha was passing on classified information in lieu of sex chats. The documents mostly comprised of training and combat-related air exercises.  

Gagan Shakti was one such exercise whose details he passed on to the ISI, a source said. 

Marwaha is a para-jumping instructor and was in charge of training elite Garud commandos. He has been charged under the Official Secrets Act and faces up to 14 years in jail. He was due to retire next year.