Hair artist Ilmaas says styling Ashanti during UK tour was a ‘dream come true’

Hairstylist Ilmaas, who runs own salon ‘Hair By Ilmaas’ in Rochdale, describes his working experience with grammy award winning singer Ashanti just before the lockdown as a ‘dream come true’. He worked with the singer for her UK tour first in Manchester and then in Leeds. “I have always respected and loved Ashanti not only […]

BP pays India’s Reliance $1 billion to set up petrol station venture

BP has paid Reliance Industries $1 billion (£792 million) to set up a joint network of thousands of petrol stations across India to tap the country’s rapidly growing energy demand. BP will hold 49 per cent and Reliance the remaining 51 per cent in the new company called Jio-bp, which will expand Reliance’s current 1,400 […]

Changes to Sunday trading hours ‘will hit small stores’

By Nadeem Badshah EXTENDING Sunday trading hours would boost supermarket sales but devastate smaller com­munity stores, some Asian shop owners and MPs believe. Retailers and politicians are split over the latest plan to relax trading rules, which is believed to have been part of the govern­ment’s coronavirus recovery bill. The proposal is now being kept […]

Boohoo launches independent review of supply chain, pledges £10m to tackle malpractice

ONLINE fashion retailer Boohoo has commissioned an independent review of its supply chain in Britain after a damaging media report on working conditions at a factory in Leicester. Shares in Boohoo have lost about a third of their value since The Sunday Times said workers in the factory making clothes destined for Boohoo were being paid as little as […]

UK’s Sunak plans tax cuts to boost Covid-19 recovery: report

BRITISH finance minister Rishi Sunak will try to restart the country’s economy by giving homebuyers a tax break and cutting value-added tax for pubs, restaurants and other hospitality firms, The Times newspaper reported. Sunak is due to announce on Wednesday (8) the next stage of his attempt to steer the world’s fifth-biggest economy away from […]

Boohoo to ditch suppliers that don’t meet standards

BRITISH online fashion retailer Boohoo will end relationships with any supplier found to have breached its code of conduct, it said on Monday (6) following a media report about poor working conditions in one factory in England. Boohoo shares slumped more than 12 per cent after The Sunday Times newspaper said workers in a factory […]

Ola to invest around £20 million for the ‘Ride Safe UK’ initiative in a year

IN an effort to raise safety standards in the UK, ride-hailing firm Ola has launched the Ride Safe UK initiative. The company will invest around £20 million in the UK under the programme. It work with UK innovators and experts in public safety to ensure that initiatives represent best practice in safety and mobility. Ola drivers […]

Joint bid by UK government, Bharti group wins auction for OneWeb satellite company

BRITAIN has joined forces with India’s Bharti Global to buy the collapsed satellite operator OneWeb, with the two sides pledging $1 billion between them to develop a constellation that could boost broadband and other services. Under the deal announced on Friday (3), Britain will invest $500 million and take a significant equity share in OneWeb […]

Hinduja family split ‘saddens’ Britain’s Indian community

  By Amit Roy REPORTS of a split in the Hinduja fam­ily, hitherto regarded as one of the most united and respected Indian dynasties in the world, have shocked and sad­dened the global diaspora. A high court case, in which Mrs Justice Falk delivered judgement last Tuesday (23), listed the claimant as “Srichand Par­manand Hinduja […]

Owners reveal plans as hospitality sector reopens for business

by LAUREN CODLING LEADING hoteliers have revealed safety measures being put into place in their establishments, as the hospitality industry prepares to reopen this weekend following the ease of lockdown measures. The sector is set to open up across England on Saturday (4), after the government announced the UK’s coronavirus alert level had reduced to […]

1 2 3 97