- He was born as Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar, on April 24, 1973, in Mumbai, India. His father Ramesh Tendulkar was a well-known novelist and his mother, Rajni, worked for Life Insurance Corporation of India. He has two half-brothers Nitin and Ajit, and a half-sister Savita.
2. Tendulkar took cricket at the age eleven and was coached by Ramakant Achrekar when he attended Sharadashram Vidyamandir High School. He still cherishes the one rupee coin that he earned for remaining not out at the end of the practice session.
3. He is married to Anjali Mehta, since May 24, 1995, and they have a daughter Sara and son Arjun. He sponsors 200 underprivileged children every year through an NGO, Apnalaya, apart from raising$ 160,000 for cancer foundation and$ 70 million for creation of basic facilities such as toilets for girl students, in 140 government schools across country.
4. On February 04, 2014, Tendulkar was conferred Bharat Ratna, by President of India Pranab Mukherjee. He is the first sportsman to receive the highest civilian award of the country. He has almost been honoured with all the sports and civilian awards in the country, the Arjun award in 1994, Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award in 1997, Padma Shri in 1999 and Padma Vibhushan in 2008.
5. On November 06, 2014, he released his autobiography, Playing it My Way, which made a record in the Lima Book of Record for pre-publication order of 150,289 confirmed copies.